In the previous blog I discuss about what organic food means?? As we had talk about the some benefits of organic food, but here I’m going to take it a lit bit further depth.
Organic food is getting more attention and popular and everyone wants to know about its benefits. The public opinion and discussion on the organic food is healthier than conventional food is quite strong and demand has been raised up over the past 5-6 years. First of all, there is only a small amount of scientific evidence to prove that organic food is better in quality than conventional food. However, there are some scientific studies that have proved organic milk and organic tomatoes to be better than non-organic varieties. While there has been done some research of having advantages or qualitative food on organic and conventional food but still this topic is in controversial.
In supermarkets organic foods are widely available as well as specialty health food stores and farmer’s market. People buy organic fruits, vegetables, milk, meats and so on to perceived benefits of organic food. Organic food cost up twice as much as conventional foods, but are they actually healthier?? Based on scientific evidence and studies the truthful answer is “maybe”. But there are other reasons to push up to buy organic too, like supporting local agriculture and protecting environment quality.
In Fig :1 pictures shows Price difference between organic and conventional food :
Health Benefits of organic food
- Antioxidant capacity: There has been done a lot of studies regarding the effects of antioxidants from organic food on overall health, and the predominant results have shown that antioxidants tends to have more of an impact when they came from organic foods. It may be due to the fact that foreign chemicals are not negatively interacting with the different vitamins, minerals, and organic compounds that are essential for the positive impacts of fruits and vegetables in the prevention of vision problems, premature aging.
- Pesticide Reduction: One of the major complaints that organic food consumers cite when choosing organic over non-organic is the presence of pesticides. In order to keep the crops attacked by the bugs, pesticides are required and sometimes from the climate. These chemicals are unnatural and they are the minerals compounds that bring about several health abnormalities in humans. Organophosphorus has been connected to a number of developmental problems, including autism and ADHD, so organic food lovers do have a pretty strong argument in this case. So, many people choose organic to make sure that their children grow up healthy and unaffected by the toxins of the world during developing periods.
- Heart Health: An increased amount of time grazing on grass also increases the amounts of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) that can be found in animal products. CLA is a heart-healthy fatty acid that can boost cardiovascular protection, and it is found in higher quantities in breast milk and in the meat of animals that have been raised free-range or cage-free.
- Stronger immune system: In recent decades, one of the biggest projects for farmers and food growers has been a genetic modification. Making tomatoes six times larger might sound like a possible option for solving some world hunger issues, but there is another side to it. Genetic modification is still in its early stages, so the long-term effects of it on human health aren’t understood very well.
- Antibiotic Resistance : People are very concerned any issues about their health, they often take precautions to make sure they remain healthy, like getting various vaccines and taking antibiotics as soon as a new strain of bacteria makes them ill. However, non-organic food sources, particularly livestock and feed houses, also use antibiotics to feed their animals. This extra dose of antibiotics may actually be weakening our immune system by basically overdosing on antibiotics, thereby reshaping it so many times that it will eventually be unable to defend itself. Organic food growers and dairy farmers do not use antibiotics in their processes.
- Better Taste: Some people believes that organic food has better tastes than conventional food. The prominent reason for this belief is that it is produced using organic means of production. Furthermore, organic food is often sold locally, resulting in the availability of fresh produce in the market, which usually does taste better than produce that has been frozen, shipped, and transported across long distances.
- Environment safety: As harmful chemicals are not used in organic farming, there is minimal soil, air, and water pollution; thus ensuring a safer and healthier world for future generations to live in.
- Animal welfare: Animal welfare is an important aspect of producing organic milk, organic meat, organic poultry, and organic fish. People feel happy that the animals are not confined to a miserable caged life when they eat organic animal products.
The below FAQs will help you understand organic food and its benefits in a better way
(SOURCE: https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/benefits-of-organic-food/, http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/advantages-of-organic-food.html, https://www.simplyquinoa.com/benefits-of-organic-food/, https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/15-health-benefits-eating-organic-food.php )